Accessibility and Disability Services FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

1. Who are the students registered with Student Accessibility & Disability Services?
Student Accessibility and Disability Services serves students with documented disabilities significantly affecting major life functions. Students registered with our office have disabilities including; ADD/ADHD, Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, Traumatic Brain Injury, Learning Disabilities, Deaf, Hard of Hearing, Blind, Low Vision, Diabetes, Seizure Disorders, and Chronic Medical Condition.

2. Is my disability documentation kept confidential?
Information and documentation of your disability is held in confidence by Student Accessibility and Disability Services until students authorize our office to share information with other departments on campus.

3. How do I receive disability services at college?
To receive services all students with documented disability can contact Student Accessibility and Disability Services to start the application process.

4. I have a disability, do I need to register with you?
As soon as you have been admitted to Edgewood College, call our office to schedule an appointment for an intake interview with the Director.

5. I think I have a disability, but I have never been tested. What should I do?
Ideally, students need to see qualified professionals in their High Schools to get evaluated. However, if there is not time for students to obtain an evaluation before enrolling in a college, the Director of Student Accessibility and Disability Services can help students by discussing the situation. Edgewood College does not provide screening for disabilities nor do we provide evaluation updates, but the Director can present referrals for the student to get evaluated in Madison. Costs incurred for any evaluation are the student’s responsibility. Students may choose to start with their physician who may either assess them for a disability or refer them to someone more appropriate.

6. Who has to pay for a new evaluation?
Neither your high school nor your postsecondary school is required to conduct or pay for a new evaluation to document your disability. You may, therefore, have to pay or find funding to pay an appropriate professional for an evaluation. If you are eligible for services through your state vocational rehabilitation agency, you may qualify for an evaluation at no cost to you. You may locate your state vocational rehabilitation agency at by clicking on “Info about RSA,” then “People and Offices,” and then “State Agencies/ Contacts.” Division of Vocational Rehabilitation for Wisconsin

7. How recent does my disability documentation need to be?
Current professional documentation that verifies your disability will be accepted. Documentation must be recent enough to identify functional limitation and support the need for academic accommodations. For students with ADD/ADHD, documentation must not be more than three years old while documentation for students with learning disabilities must have been completed within the last five years.

8. Do I need to do an intake every semester?
You do not need to do an intake every semester. Though many accommodations can be provided more quickly, it is advisable to request your accommodations at least four weeks before each semester begins.

9. What constitutes my responsibilities as a student with a disability?
Your first responsibility is to self-identify. If you do not identify as a student with a disability, Student Accessibility and Disability Services cannot provide you with accommodations. After you have self-identified, you should provide the Director with the appropriate documentation. This documentation should be from an appropriate professional source that verifies the nature of the disability, its functional limitations, and the need for special accommodations. Once the accommodations are determined, your professor can be informed. Each semester you will need to request a letter be sent to the professor of classes in which you plan to use accommodations.

10. How are faculty members informed of my accommodations?
To receive accommodations for the semester, students must email their class schedules to the Assistive Technology Specialist before the end of each semester. Using your class schedule, Disability Services will prepare and email your accommodation letters to your professors at the beginning of the semester. It is your responsibility to discuss with your professor how the accommodations will be carried out in the class.

11. I have a disability. Will I be eligible to use accommodations in college?
Maybe. The decision to provide accommodations is based on the activity and whether the disability creates any barriers to doing it. For example, a student who is paralyzed from the waist down has a disability and needs a physically accessible environment. However, this same student would not be eligible for note taking services or books on tape because the disability doesn’t interfere with reading or writing.

12. Will Student Accessibility and Disability Services provide services like helping me get ready for the school day or pushing my wheelchair?
No. Services or equipment needed to assist a person with activities of daily living are the responsibility of the individual, not the college. For example, the college would provide a scribe for essay tests if the student’s disability prevented her/him from writing. The college, however, is not obligated to provide a scribe so that same student could do homework or write personal letters.

13. What Accommodations are available?
Accommodations are approved on a case by case basis and are designed to address the functional limitations of the disability. Some accommodations that we frequently provide are:

  • Limited distraction area for exams
  • Extra time on tests and exams
  • Use of computer for exam
  • Use of screen readers on exams
  • Alternative textbooks (6 Weeks turnaround)
  • Peer note taking support
  • Assistive Technology devices
  • Priority registration
  • Print materials enlarged
  • Use of a calculator

14. May a student with a learning disability be exempt from a foreign language?
It is possible for students with a learning disability to petition for a waiver. The decision for a waiver is made on a case-by-case basis and substitute courses are required. Speak with the Director of Student Accessibility and Disability Service for more information. 
Foreign Language Course Substitution Assistance

15. What kinds of services or accommodations are not provided?
In accordance with the law, there are some modifications that the college does not provide as a reasonable accommodation. Examples include but not limited to:

  • modifications that lower or change course standards or program standards
  • personal services such as private tutoring or personal attendants (tutoring services are available elsewhere on campus)
  • personal devices such as wheelchairs or glasses
  • services that are unduly burdensome, administratively or financially.
  • modifications that would change the essence of a program, such as allowing a student in a public speaking class to substitute a written paper for an oral presentation

16. Now that I have been approved for accommodation, can I retake any of my tests taken without accommodations?
No. Accommodations are not retroactive. You will be able to take tests with accommodations moving forward. It is your responsibility to request testing accommodations on any particular test.

17. How often or how long do I receive services if I’m eligible?
Our support services are available to students for as long as they are at Edgewood College and as often as they need them. Students must remember to stay in contact with Accessibility and Disability Services so that we can work together to insure your success.

18. I cannot use print textbooks and need audio books. Why must I pay for a copy of the textbook that I cannot use?
Students must purchase the print version of the textbook in order to obtain a free electronic text copy of the book. This is done to protect the publisher’s and author’s copyright interests.

19. How does the law change from High School to College for individuals with disabilities?
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) governs special education services in public schools K-12 and can involve testing, diagnosis, educational planning, and implementation of special programs. At the college level, IDEA no longer applies and special education services for students no longer exists. The law is transitioned to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and becomes more of a civil rights concern, protecting the student from discrimination by providing reasonable accommodations as well as ensuring access to all educational programs and services for those with a qualified disability.

20. Is financial assistance available through the disability services office for students with disabilities?
No. Check with Edgewood Central to inquire about federal aid, scholarships, and other funding options. Some agencies that may provide support are:

If you have any other questions, please email us at Accessibility and Disability Services and we will get back to you as soon as possible.